Day 3: In a Land Called Hanalei

April 30, 2011
Up early again, we ate breakfast at the condo and then headed into Hanalei to check out the Hanalei Farmer’s Market, which was quite a different scene from yesterday’s market. Every vendor had a tent and tables (rather than selling out of the backs of trucks) and about half of the vendors were selling crafts (clothing, jewelry, soap/lotions, paintings, etc.). I saw some lovely necklaces that were a little out of my price range and bought a small stuffed honu for Ryan. 

We had already decided to get fish from Kilauea Fish Market that night for dinner, so we shopped for salad ingredients – baby carrots and tomatoes, and a bag of mixed salad greens from Kauai Kunana Dairy Farm. Nancy bought a white pineapple and we watched a girl hack open coconut shells with a machete, which impressed Ryan greatly and added a new word to his vocabulary.

Next we headed over to Hanalei Bay for some ocean time. After Ryan’s dislike of Poipu Beach I wasn’t sure he would like Hanalei Bay, since the waves were bigger, the shoreline slopes steeply into the water, and it was kind of chilly.

I pulled out the honu kickboard and swimsuits, and he splashed right in. There were a couple of big wave encounters that upset him (physically and emotionally), but he jumped up and ran right back in.Jack was content to eat fistfuls of sand (made for an interesting diaper change later!) and stay on shore with Grandma.

Eventually I felt the boys had had enough sun and we were getting hungry, so we cleaned everybody up (baby powder really works wonders for getting sand out of little boy parts!) and loaded back into the cars.

We decided to stop at North Shore Grindz in the Princeville Chevron. The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook recommended the Braddah’s BBQ burger, and while I don’t always agree with the author, that was an incredible burger. BBQ sauce, bacon, and an onion ring topped a beef patty made from local Princeville Ranch beef – oh, yeah.

We grabbed a six pack of Big Wave Golden Ale and headed back to the condo for naps.

Once the boys were down and DH was scrolling through bad television (even CNN was re-running the royal wedding in its entirety), I drove over to Kilauea to pick up fish for dinner. I was lured into Oskar’s Boutique, which had some gorgeous tops, dresses and kids' clothing from island designers (including a $200 silk maxi dress that I still dream about). I bought a toy for Jack and went to see a man about a fish.

The fish market got rave reviews online so I expected to find a wider variety of fish steaks and fillets. In September 2009 I picked up monchong at the Koloa Fish Market and loved it, so was hoping to find it here. The girl (seriously, she was about 14) behind the counter looked as me as if I had asked for turtle soup and said, “No, I don’t think we have that.” So, I settled for two ahi steaks and two mahi-mahi fillets, plus a small container of ahi poke ($29).

I asked if they had any seasonings (which I had also bought previously at Koloa Fish Market) and was met with another blank stare. Their menu even states “Dressing, Spices and Seasonings Available” so I was glad when a different person came to help me.

He gave me a small container of Cajun spice for the mahi-mahi, but didn’t suggest anything for the ahi. If I had been home I would have mixed up some kind of soy-ginger glaze, but I wasn’t, so I didn’t. Bill and Nancy picked up chicken and Spam musubi at Foodland, which made for a full meal with our fresh salad, rice and fish that we enjoyed out on our lanai.